Thursday, July 15, 2010

Khan and Sufi -Day 3

Wednesday night we went and watched the Sufi dancers at the Al-Ghouri caravanserai. It was amazing and loud and long.
This guy spun in circles for nearly 45 minutes. No, he did not fall over when he was done. He even walked in a straight line when he exited the stage! Brian's comment was "I think his brains are going to start coming out of his ears!" This is where the term whirling dervish comes from.
For dinner we had Egyptian pancakes and a pizza. It was good, but not fabulous.
We had beggars at our feet the whole time we ate. I tried to get pictures of the flies that were there, but couldn't manage it. I had to be sure to swat them off my can of soda before I took a drink. Ew.
Khan al-khalili bazaar is where we bought all of our souvenirs. It was very hot, we were sweating like crazy. Most people were really pushy, but there were a few really nice shop owners too. One teenage kid really liked Brian's necklace that he had on. I think he would have given us half his inventory in exchange for it.
Brian also got told he was a "lucky man" a lot because my sister and I looked like his wives trailing along with him. Shirlee and I also got asked if we were twins several times.
This is a common sight in Cairo. I think it is recycling. No, this is not really a Chevrolet, it's an Isuzu. They like to paint all their trucks with "Chevrolet", I guess it's the cool thing to do, or maybe they need to do it to increase their payload. Ha ha.

No comments: